Favorite Needle Brands
- HiyaHiya Sharp
- Knitters Pride Cubics
What size needles do you use for knitting socks?
I prefer knitting my socks with US 1.5 (2.5mm) 32" circulars, and the magic loop method.
How many stitches do you cast on for socks?
Everyone's mileage may vary, but I generally cast on 64 stitches if knitting socks for myself, or an average woman's foot — 72 stitches for a man or large foot.
How do you store your knitting needles?
- Any tutorial by Judith MacKenzie is GOLD. Check out her book The Intentional Spinner. She also has several video tutorials on Interweave.com, which you can purchase and download directly.
- Craftsy's "Drafting From Worsted to Woolen" with Jaycee Boggs Faulkner is excellent! Learn different drafting styles and techniques from one of the best spinning instructors out there.
- Craftsy's "Spinning Dyed Fibers" with Felicia Lo. Another great Craftsy class that shows many different ways to spin hand dyed fiber.
- If you're new to drop spindling, Craftsy's "Spindling: From Fluff to Stuff" with Drucilla Pettibone is a great place to start.
- Abby Franquemont is an excellent teacher when it comes to learning how to drop spindle. Her book, Respect the Spindle should be a staple in every fiber lover's library.
How do you "ply-on-the-fly"?
I demonstrate how to ply-on-the-fly in Episode 128 .
- Learn to Sew Clothes video tutorial on CreativeBug.com
- Gertie's Gathered Skirt Tutorial
- Any class with Alison Smith on Craftsy.com
Great resources for learning to hand-dye yarn:
- Dyeing In the Kitchen with Deb Menz
- Hand Dyeing Yarn and Fleece by Gail Callahan
- Professional Yarn Dyeing At Home with Sarah Eyre
- Dyeing to Spin and Knit by Felicia Lo