EPISODE 266: "Rabbit Holes"
Getting ready for the Curious Handmade Impressionists MKAL, a finished Cardamom Coffee Hat, an ALMOST finished Threipmuir Sweater, some new cast ons and ... Weaving?!?!
- (4:45) The Curious Handmade Impressionists MKAL kicks off this Saturday, March 31. The pattern is available for pre-sale (with special early bird pricing until the pattern is released) through Helen Stewart's Ravelry shop.
- (7:41) I announce the winner of Create Your Own Lopapeysa: A guide to the Icelandic traditional wool sweater. by Auður Björt Skúladóttir (Audurbjort on Ravelry).
(9:52) My dear friend Eli Skeindeer has released yet another amazing pattern collection. This time, it’s all about socks!
In her Sokkelester collection, Eli has designed 6 gorgeous colorwork sock patterns to knit. And the lovely person that she is, she is giving away a copy of her collection to one lucky Yarngasm podcast viewer! (Thank You Eli!! )
To Enter To Win: Join the Yarngasm Ravelry group (if you haven't already) and in the Sokkelester giveaway thread, following the given prompt:
Eli named two of her sock patterns in the collection after her grandmothers. If you were to design a pattern and name it after someone special in your life, who would it be and why? (share as little or as much as you like)
Next week, I will lock the thread, choose a winner using Random.org, and announce who it is in the next episode.
- CARDAMOM COFFEE by Caitlin Hunter
- The Woolen Rabbit, "Chocolate Chambord"
- Woolen Boon, "Truffle Shuffle"
- Voolenvine Yarns, "Voolenvine No.9" (Leftover scraps from my Zweig Pullover)
I also gush about The Woolen Rabbit, whose yarns I first heard about through the Electric Sheep podcast (which is sadly no longer in production).
- THREIPMUIR by Ysolda Teague
- Jamieson & Smith 2-ply Jumper
- Cream White - "202"
- Green - "FC12"
- Jamieson Spindrift - "Dewdrop"
I discuss the neckline being higher than I'm used to, and compare it to Tommi's Stokkur pullover. (Tommi hosts the Squirrel Pie Productions podcast)
I also mention #YearOftheGarment - a casual KAL that I'm hosting during the year of 2017. Check out the Year Of the Garment KAL thread in the Yarngasm Ravelry group!
- UNDERWING MITTS by Erica Heusser
Holst Garn, Supersoft - "Prune" + "Willow"
Jaclyn of the Brooklyn Knit Folk podcast introduced me to the pattern.
- STOCKBRIDGE by Ysolda Teague
Tuku Wool, Fingering - "Ujo"
- Lined Drawstring Project Bag Tutorial I used is by InColorOrder.com.
I'm introducing a new segment to the podcast, since I have a tendency to fall down making "rabbit holes". This week, I find myself diving into weaving!
Back in October, my mother-in-law gifted me an Ashford SampleIt 10" Rigid Heddle Loom. I took it for a spin, but didn't take to it immediately, so I decided to come back to weaving at a later date.
I finally got the weaving bug back again, after seeing my friend Grace's gorgeous woven scarves at the Edinburgh Yarn Fest. (Grace hosts the Babbles Traveling Yarns podcast.)
Next update: Saturday, March 31 @ 10am ET.
- Taxes (exciting!)
- Knitty City (LYS)
- Musings on my creative process